What is XQuery?
XQuery is a functional query language that is built on XPath expressions.
It is designed to query data stored in the form of XML. We can say that XQuery is to XML what SQL is to a database.
Advantages of XQuery
- XQuery can be used to retrieve both hierarchal and tabular data.
- XQuery can be used to query tree and graphical structures.
- XQuery can used to build and to query web pages.
- XQuery can be used to transform XML documents into XHTML documents.
- XQuery is ideal for XML-based databases and object-based databases. Object databases are much more flexible and powerful than purely tabular databases.
You can learn more about XQuery in our XML XQuery Tutorial